Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thursday Phone Phollies

The phone rings.  Caller ID says, "unknown name and number."

Being sick abed, I pick it up.  The usual "blah, blah, to speak to one of our representatives, press 1."

Press 1.

Voice comes on and says, "Who am I speaking to?"

I say, "Thank God you're there.  We'll get to that.  But I have an emergency, I'm ill and I need your help.  Just do this, and I'll listen to any pitch you have."

"Ummmm, 'k."

"Do you have another line or another phone there?  A cell maybe?"

"Yes."

"Good.  Just for a moment, put this line down and pick that one up.  Dial 911 and say this exactly,  'Officer, I'm attempting to defraud a senior citizen here.  You might want to come on over and see how we operate.'  Did you get that?  Say it exactly.  Repeat it back to me.

"Hello.  Hello."

Humrph.  You just can't count on the kindness of strangers any more.

1 comment: